PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:19
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
MOA

I used to attend weekly capability meetings where Nimrod was discussed by varying departments amongst other capabilities. I used to sit about 10 feet away from people that "ate, breathed and slept" on the program. They used to show me pictures, e-mails and other documentation that confirms all that I read and hear from others on this Forum.

Canning the white elephant that had cost £4Bn was the right choice IMHO. From what I saw and heard we were looking at another procurement disaster, which had serious safety flaws (ALARP and tolerable doesn't quite cut for me with a new aircraft!) and we might be in the very sad situation of burying our own again (plus others).

I know there are those that worked on the program that say otherwise, but I just don't believe them from what I read and saw with my own eyes. There is always the chance of "going native" and "vested interest". Those that I saw looking at the Program from 2-star downwards, without a connection or "vested interest", always seemed awestruck with how bad things were going (aircrew and engineers).

So, I'm afraid I differ from your view and in my opinion the Govt and MoD were right to can the Nimrod. Tough on those at KIS, but the right thing if you consider the capability and the emergence of its shortfalls.

LJ - out