PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA allows medication for mood disorder
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:00
zero1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Robot1

I suspect as the class 3 is technically a lower medical standard then the rules may also apply to that as well. Remember that the NPPL medical, which is also a lower medical standard will allow the use of SSRI drugs even now.

I must stress the acceptance of the condition and medication will need to conform to the EASA/CAA protocol. Specifically there will be only 4-5 SSRI drug types allowed, which are the 1st generation drugs. In other words, those that the medical people have statistical data on in a flying environment.

The likes of Venlafaxine, which is a SNRI (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) and Duloxetine have not been proven and therefore will unlikely be included. Some time ago I did discuss this with the CAA as to how they will include newer drugs in the protocol but at the time this had not been fully considered. Still we have to be thankful that some common sense has finally come to the medical people on this subject.

The question I always asked is if the statistics say that 1 in 4 people in the general population will at sometime suffer a mental health problem then what are the CAA medical people seeing in the pilot/ATCO population... It should be the same or near it but I bet it is not the same... In fact I seem to have read that in some career roles, which suffer high stress (production workers, teachers, farming) the statistics are worst with 1 in 3 having problems.