PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane grounded in Canada's north
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 19:29
+TSRA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The aircraft landed without incident and the crew was brought to the local detachment for questioning. Based on the interviews, a blood test was authorized and conducted by a local nurse. Charges under the Canadian Criminal Code are pending, based on the test results. Aviation Enforcement and RCMP are co-operating in the investigation.
Sounds to me like the guy (or gal) might not have a leg to stand on. If after the interviews they conducted a blood test and as a result of that blood test charges are being laid, I would suggest that the pilot in question had over the limit of alcohol in their blood.

I too wonder though if the guard had suspicion at the departure aerodrome, why was the flight allowed to leave? That in of itself should be a separate investigation. If challenged in YFB the pilot may have elected to go back to the hotel and call in sick - in that case intent is harder to prove than the actual action itself and the worst case scenario might be a formal reprimand by the company.

Not that I condone this at all. I think if the pilot is found to be guilty they should be removed from the ranks and stripped of their license. There is absolutely no reason for having a level of alcohol in your blood anywhere near the legal limit and I've always thought that we have spent enough money, time, and effort getting to an airline that to lose it all because you want a drink is a very immature decision not only to yourself but your passengers and crew.