PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astar Air Cargo
Thread: Astar Air Cargo
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 14:25
Icebear2710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel very sorry for everybody who might lose the job, but I am afraid this is just another chapter of the rather unsuccessful engagements of Deutsche Post in the U.S. domestic market during the first decade of this century. From what I know, ASTAR (didn't it get the name then?) was separated from DHL operations when DP took full ownership of DHL, because it wasn't anymore allowed to maintain an controlling ownership of a US airline. While this kind of protectionism does exist on both side of the Atlantic it doesn't make things any easier for anybody envolved.

In the DPDHL annual report 2010 it was already written that DHL took 100% ownership of ASTAR again.
http://www.dp-dhl.com/content/dam/In...eport_2010.pdf
(p. 114)

While one might be able to consolidate a company, the flying/airline bit needs to be found a new home. It looked to me then, that the future of ASTAR wasn't really looking rosy. The current announcement isn't a surprise.

From the distance the ACMI seems to be the better option for DPDHL. They can rent the aircraft they need over the desired period of time, and that all without the restraints of a foreign ownership of an airline. Again, I feel very sorry for all the individuals affected by what is happening, but I am afraid, if DHL became an American company again, it would likewise happen to us here in Europe.
Just look at TNT. I wouldn't be suprised to see exactly the same to happen. TNT becomes an American owned/controlled company
-> Don't worry, we will restructure it and rent in your services
-> Sorry, you're getting to expensive, why shouldn't we use other airline's services
-> Now, your equipment is getting too old and since we can't own the airline anyway, we won't spend money on it....

I hope that everybody will find work soon, or that perhaps with new costumers the operation could continue.