PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL cross country
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2012, 13:50
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
I have actually never used a stopwatch to time my legs. Just an analog or digital watch, or the clock of the aircraft, or the clock of the GPS. Whatever was convenient.
At the PPL level, the exam objectives are +/- 5 minutes, if I recall correctly. Any timepiece will do for that.
Apologies if it wasn't obvious - the stop watch kept breaking as my instructor occasionally hides it to make sure that I can cope (and to make sure I've been writing down my progress!).

PPL_fresher - yes I assumed that GPS is normally used when needing to do Nav. What I was looking for is to see if it is sensible to learn an approach now to nav that I'll be able to modify only slightly in the future if / when I go down that route post PPL. You do of course have a paper map with you also - don't you

BP - sounds like you don't stick to a hardened fast rule when doing nav - which is my instructor's opinion also - why he said he was happy for me to go away and create a system that works for me rather than relying on a technique that I've been struggling with.

I know the output (to get to a location after coping with any problems along the way with recorded progress) and the input (aeroplane details / wind / waypoints etc). Its just how to get from one to the other that there are different opinions about that I've been trying to gather. Thanks for your contributions.