PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC McAlpine/easyJet/JMC Sponsorship Selection
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 21:03
wannabe1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ctc selection day

I was at the selection day and has been said before everyone concerned was very nice, helpful and tring to make what is a trying experience as painless as possible.

The selection day consisted of a Q &A session which in my opinion basically reiterated what is on the web site.

The group discussion was relatively easy take your time and think through exactly what pionts you want to make and your arguements for/ against your topic. ( the choices on my day were all topical issues which were relevant and in the news recently)
You have plenty of time to comlete all sections of the task so think everything through carefully.

The maths and english tests were straight forward however if you want to practice something similar to what you will face i recommend books aimed at business people, management or graduates. ( simply because of the format of the tests not the content)
The timing is tight but allows you to read each of the questions fully twice before answering for the verbal questions. However the maths test personally i didnt finish and most of the people I spoke didnt either.

The computer tests were difficult theres no two ways about it. Go to the doy in comfortable shoes etc that you would be prepared to flying in.(for tests were you use rudder pedals etc)

If you play lots of computer games you may have an advantage as there is a dodge the falling object part to the test to get practicing. ie you guide a triangle through a steam of objects falling down at different speeds etc.

the memory test in itself is quite easy but be very familiar with the layout of a keyboard.

For the maths test be familiar with rate of decent questions, speed distance time. All fairly basic and within the gen nav syllabus. I would recommend trevor thom for a quick practice but again no calculators. This is timed and you cannot miss any questions out.

there is a test were they asked you to look at instruments and pick what a/c they were showing. The instruments are RBI, COMPASS and turn indicator. again take your time and be methodical in deciding which one.

there is a test that asks you to input data to the auto pilot while noticing and cancelling warning signals this was ok but i and a few others didnt think the warnings were displayed for the full 3 sec.
The thing that made this really difficult was the keys you had to use to change figures and cancel the warnings( it helps if you are double jointed.

the test where you have to use rudder pedals was very sensitve in my opinion. The urge to step on the ball at times was overwhelming but caused the wrong movement esp as you are also trying to obseve and control another instrument with another sensitive control. (however perhaps this is a personal failing)

As for the total number of applications the number I was told was 400 total with the majority meeting the inital criteria. The main tool for weeding out being the 4 questions afterwards. In answering these my advice would be scour the websites of other companies who have in the past offered sponsorships (BA ETC) they include all the buzz words they are looking for.
As has been stated before they are trying to fill places for the start of the year therefore taking people who are avalible then first. The impression i got was that they were happy with the calibre of applicant they were getting.

The average applicant who was there was male and white but i think this was more to do with the short time scale and avalibility rather then design. I tried to speak to everybody on the day and the majority had degrees. This will help in the group disussion if the questions remain the same.

please do not take any of the above as gospel this is mearly my experience and hopefully helpful suggestions as to what may be beneficial to those still to go down.
Good Luck to everyone!