PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rottnest Island Avdata charging for missed approaches
Old 6th Jun 2012, 01:51
Simon Lockie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... As an Airport Manager myself, over the ditch, I wonder how some of you expect that we should get paid for providing a nice runway for you?

I can't comment on CASA regs, but here in NZ you are not allowed to fly below 500feet AGL unless for the purpose of a training flight within a designated low flying area, OR for the purpose of Take Off or Landing or practising the same.

Therefore if you are flying below 500feet AGL over our runway, you are most certainly using the facility as it was what makes your flight path legal.
Now we could argue the finer points of that one, but here is another way to view it: When you are on late final for the purpose of a missed approach, is it OK if another aircraft lines up and takes off under you? No, it is not. For that period of time you have exclusive use of that runway facility whether YOU choose to land, touch and go, or go around, it was your runway to use and no one elses.

Last edited by Simon Lockie; 6th Jun 2012 at 01:52.