PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2012, 20:43
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
kookabat, no need for apology, for you have brought valuable information of a rare beast, a surviving Vultee Vengeance. Whatever mark it might be, and we await Danny's verdict, this is an aircraft of which I had little or no knowledge before Danny introduced it to us.
I must admit to developing a bit of an anorak obsession with its aerial arrays, which would perhaps be more appropriately expressed in the History and Nostalgia Forum rather than here on this thread. So it is for me to apologise for the thread drift. In a plea of mitigation I can only plead the presence of a repetitive voice inside me that forever asks "Why?"!
A lot of the why's Danny has covered; "Why the Vengeance", "Why was it in India", "Why was it altered to the MkIV?". So as soon as Danny spotted the flapping wires running from the wingtips of the IAF ones on YouTube the same query arose. Filed in Pending TFN!

Danny, Berlin Express? Wot a larf! All part of the "first casualty of war", or blatant misadvertising? If the latter we must presumably give credit to the Air Ministry in putting the brochure to one side with a "Thanks, but no thanks!". As to you wide eyed Air Commodore/ Flying Officer, he certainly strikes a chord. There was always a rather naive chap around who would swallow any story and hence be the butt of endless wind ups. Remorse follows of course, and later shame. Well maybe not, but perhaps it should do ;-)

Three Wire, thanks for the very informative link. The depth of knowledge of such sites is simply amazing. What a sad end for those Spits though (oh, and the VVs of course!). Bulldozed, broken up and buried! Even saucepans would have been a more acceptable fate.