PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS apathy
Thread: NAS apathy
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 15:25
WALLEY

from Walleyworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still no advise on 737 RPT ops into CTAF in the USA. Would really appreciate advise here to help with an appproach to the Minister.

Triadic, please excuse my terminology. As stated I am no pro but let me advise this "the Ctaf is only as safe as the worst pilot in the area." I like my life in the hands of the RPT captain,not the undertrained pilot flying VFR and leaving his call to the last minute then getting flustered when there is too much traffic.

In my previous reply above I stated an incident when there was 6 A/C in the MBZ and 2 on the deck taking off I know this as the AN captain had been kind enough to ask me up front.

Why it remains clear in my memory as it was the final straw that led me to demand a CA/GRS for Bme. In this case one 210 was between us and the A/P and was not coping he kept changing his position including Alt. The FO was handling comms and he and the Captain were becoming worried. Finally the Captain simply asked the 210 was he over land or sea when advised "land" he ceased descent levelled off and headed for the sea and approached from there.

I was impressed, but thought if the approach procedure was coming to this, it needed changing.At least the 210 was on the correct frequency 2 weeks later another incident was because of incorrect frequency. To tell the full story there was 5 incidents involing RPT A/C in 6 weeks!!

The reliance on transponders, to me, has no positive feedback if flying VFR in E class airspace. How do you know it is working or even switched on, the real confirmation is only from someone elses radar.

In Per out of Jandacot we lowlifes are told to turn them off when doing circuits etc. not a great learning curve for ops. When is a CTAS mandatory for RPT? will there be a pax carrying limit or some arbitary rule for turboprops?

While access to ministers is possible for me, one error can ruin your case, that is why I am seeking some guidence on the 737 ops in USA and am suprised there is no flags being raised by the pilot bodies and airlines it sure would help.

Chief, thanks the articles were great

Last edited by WALLEY; 23rd Dec 2002 at 16:09.