PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bounce landing recovery technique
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 14:54
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mis-landing

My instructor was a firm believer in the always go-arround from a mis-landing. After 600 or more hours of following that advice, I am also a firm believer in that method.

Now teaching students, I also require them to go-arround from a bounce, overly high flare or baloon.

Reasons:

It is always safe to go-arround.......the aircraft will not have reached the end of the runway and will not have stalled and thus will be flying happily.

The same can not be said of the other methond of recovery...aircraft bounces....getting slow, nose high....bit of buffett, runway behind more than runway in front......blast of power...oops too much in the panic.....float...float......oh that hedge sems close.....do I dive it on or go arround...??????......eh SPLAT!

If one is teaching the "add as little power and land" method because there is unsuficient light remaining or the weather is too poor for another circuit then perhaps a lesson in flight planning is required........where would the flight have gone if the runway was blocked.......wherever the answer is, it would be dark!!

As for saving the expense of another circuit....well need I say anymore about that?

With regard to aircraft handling, the ball etc, the student will have practiced several transitions from full Stall with 40deg flap to climbing flight, full power, ball in the middle at all times, getting the aircraft cleaned up...They will laso have practiced go-arrounds in the circuit from 40 flap approaches at various heights.....practice makes better.

To sum up, the go-arround is the only option where there is no doubt about the flight path and safety of the aircraft even if the field is a short one.

Regards,

DFC