PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2012, 05:21
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Ben

The reminiscences from your father's flying days have been a wonderful illumination to our little thread and I know that many Nostalgia readers have thoroughly appreciated your contribution. Thank you.

I am thrilled that I met your Dad that day at Biggin Hill (late 70's) when he was on the gas patrol and to have subsequently 'met' his son through PPRuNe!

Please do keep involved with the thread and pop-in whenever you can!

Brgds

Sav

HMS UNICORN

HM Frigate Unicorn was built at Chatham Dockyard, Kent and launched in 1824. A superstructure was built over her main deck and she was laid up "in ordinary", serving as a hulk and a depot ship for most of the next 140 years. Her lack of active duty left her timbers well preserved and in the 1960's steps were initiated to convert her to a museum ship.

Though steps were taken (including the addition of the totally new bowsprit) to restore Unicorn to a similar condition as her sister HMS Trincomalee, this plan was changed as it was discovered that the ship was the only example of a wooden frigate of her type existing in ordinary and, as a result, the decision was made to preserve her in her current condition.

The Unicorn was never rigged and only went to sea for the voyage from Chatham to Dundee during which she was under tow. It is thought the roof that covers her upper deck has never been replaced.

An RAF Westland Whirlwind oversees the transfer of HM Frigate Unicorn from Earl Grey Dock to Dundee Harbour on 13th November 1962. The Unicorn is being towed downriver by tugs 'Castlecraig' (ahead) and 'Harecraig' (astern)

A Westland Whirlwind engages in Flag Officer Training at HMS St.Vincent at Gosport in Portsmouth in 1963

One is tempted to say that the Whirlwind above is RN given its training duty but .. the markings appear distinctly RAF-like!

As a dog lover one is glad to see the chap on the left with a mutt at his heel!