PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approaches
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 23:45
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably average about 5 to 7 missed approaches a year, although I fly into some pretty remote places with limited weather information so that number is much higher than the average pilot flying in major centres.

I actually went around a day ago for my 6th time this year because an aircraft had failed to vacate the runway and we were just descending through 150 feet above ground.

Go Arounds and Missed Approaches are standard procedures that should give no cause for alarm. If anything it should prove that your crew wants to get home just as much as you do by not wanting to take unnecessary risk.

Can they be done wrong. Sure - but thats why in simulator training almost every approach ends in a missed approach. I average 1 landing for every 4 approaches in the sim. For my last recurrent training, this was day 1 as taken from my notes:

1. Normal multi-engine missed off an NDB approach
2. Normal multi-engine missed and given an engine fire during gear retraction from an RNAV approach
3. Single engine missed from an ILS
4. Landing from an ILS to minimums

So hopefully you see that its a normal procedure that we train for and that at the end of the day if you're in an aircraft that is in a missed, it means your crew is looking out for your best interests!