PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self-funded vs academy sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 21:13
sleepyprojectionist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I have asked myself that question (do I really want to do it?) plenty over the last couple of months.

The money would provide some financial security, which I am certain in the current climate would be viewed enviably by a lot of people.

This has been a long-standing dream that I have put off believing it to be out of my reach and I have reached the decision that if I don't even try to get my foot on the bottom rung of the ladder when an opportunity presents itself I may regret it for the rest of my life.

I applied for this year's GAPAN PPL scholarship and was rejected. I was given the feedback that my application had simply not been "compelling enough". At first I was slightly annoyed that only a heart-warming tale of victory against the odds was enough to catch the eyes of the guild, but it made me realise that despite my interest over the years I had never really displayed the drive necessary to make it in the world of aviation.

Hell, maybe I will never make it to the level of commercial pilot, but even getting my PPL would be an accomplishment.

I think I'll have a chat with some of the guys at the flight school down the road and see what they suggest, but I need to do something before I start to stagnate.

Cheers for the advice. I appreciate the input a great deal.