PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retreating Blade Stall No 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 19:08
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
The increasing number of rotor blades from the 3-bladed S-55 has softened the roll rate for the cases where the rotor is driven into stall, straight ahead, one " G ". In those instances, one notices an increase in N/rev vibration and a measurable tendency for the lateral stick position at the trim points to migrate toward the right. That agrees with the consistent results we have seen in dynamic cases as well, where the rolling tendency is always left.
Brother Dixson.....rather than squabble with Crab over what you said and what he and I each took from the above statement.....could you simplify what you said above?

What I took from your statement above....is the old S-55 (Whirlwind), with three blades would pitch up and roll left during RBS....and as improvements in the design and increase in number of Rotor Blades per head increased....there was less rolling moment and more stick displacement to the right in balanced flight.

What I took from that is the control input required for balanced level straight flight (three different flight maneuvers in my book) necessitated cyclic input to the right to counter a rolling moment to the left.....despite the aircraft no longer pitching up due to the increase in blade numbers and other design features improving rotor blade performance.

Am I right in my perception of what you said?

Crab,

My comment was based upon level balanced flight not maneuvering or dynamic inputs.....just the regular ol' fashioned "going to fast" for the rotors to handle it" situation. Thus....meaning no cyclic input other than that required for the airspeed being sought that puts one into the RBS situation.

When one adds a cyclic control movements.....I can see where things can be much different than in the straight and level...fast cruise scenario I was talking about.

Last edited by SASless; 4th Jun 2012 at 19:11.