PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 16:45
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming that isn't tongue in cheek,
Assuming it IS Tongue In Cheek...

Putting aside your claim regarding Buckingham Palace only wanted one Official Function the Royal family have a soft spot for the Royal Navy, the Duke of Edinburgh has been graciously awarded the title of Lord High Admiral of the Navy but this iconic person is sadly not a 'spring chicken' and would this have been an ideal occasion for the Queen's Consort to review his fleet and yes I TOTALLY agree that London would be totally out of the question BUT.... Who is kidding who? How many ships could the Navy spare for such a task? Having it in the Thames was a tongue in cheek comment but if we had the ships then why not have it in Plymouth or perish the thought Torbay? The bottom line however is that it would be plain embarrassing to have to admit there is NO fleet to review. The Royal Navy is beyond being overstretched and we are now relying on Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships manned by civilians to carry out the duties of frigates that have had to be deployed elsewhere.

Nice to see the Royal Barge taking part in that wonderful ceremony but would Her Majesty the Queen or the Lord High Admiral of the Navy wear blooming life jackets when they were on the Royal Barge??? I cringed when I saw those old salts wearing life jackets!! When the Royal Yacht came to Torbay and that barge had to ferry the Royal party ashore, the boat was a rocking, the waves were a splashing, come hell or high water the boat's crew stood to attention like the men they were and not a life jacket to be seen!!.

I am fully aware that the crew yesterday were all ex 'Yachties' but I would have told the Health and Safety clowns to stuff their rules where the Sun does not shine!! Life Jackets indeed.

I do understand your point about the Thames and of course the remark was Tongue in Cheek but your comment about the biggest ship that could get up to the Pool of London is a Type 23 frigate and then go on to talk about it possibly tying up alongside the Belfast a ship easily in excess of twice the weight of that class of ship did make me think about what you claimed, but I am NOT talking about a 'Fleet Review' in the Thames... It was tongue in cheek as is my suggestion that the Royal Navy could probably use my swimming pool to hold a Review!!

Sadly I have just heard the news about Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh being admitted to King Edward VII Hospital, my thoughts and my prayers are with him and Her Majesty.

Best wishes
John