PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windshear On Final.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 12:35
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's making a bit more sense now carb, thanks! I suppose the short landing role is possible given the initial head-wind, but it certainly would have been no shorter than if you hadn't encountered that wind-shear!

Personally, I'd keep my hand on the throttle even for a forced landing. Imagine the scenario... engine failure, you set up for the glide, find a field, and line yourself up perfectly. It's a short bumpy field, but your speed is good and your height is good - you come over the hedge, flare, and touch down. The bumpy ride over the rough ground dislodges that bit of dirt which had blocked the fuel filter, the engine coughs back into life... and your hand is nowhere near the throttle. You've just turned a perfectly good forced landing into an encounter with the hedge at the far end of the field. Ok, so it's not that likely, and if you've got time your crash checks would ensure the fuel and ignition were off anyway - but I'd rather be in a position where I can have as much control as possible, and my hand on my knee doesn't give me very much control!

I agree with carb and Dusty re. the extra speed, by the way. Half of the gust factor on top of the POH speed was what I was taught. The engine may respond immediatley, but the aircraft still takes time to gain momentum. If field length is a concern, then don't go to that field on a gusty day.

FFF
--------------

(PS - all this talk of having your hand on your knee reminds me of when my sister learnt to drive. She would turn a corner in first gear, and when she changed to second gear she'd completely forget to steer while her hand was on the gear-stick! Instructor made her drive around with one hand on her knee for an hour to prove she only needs one hand to steer! )