PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Helicopters and Tail Rotor Rolling Couple
Old 4th Jun 2012, 16:04
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks for the interesting replies. It does appear that there seem to be significant differences of opinion, both here and in the online literature, about how the force created by the tail rotor affects the helicopter, apart from counter-acting the main-rotor torque. One of the main issues seems to be the point about which the rolling couple is acting. Some say the main rotor hub, others the centre of gravity.

crab, [edit: I see DennisK also makes the same point].
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate that the right-drift must be a real effect, although I have to say I didn't notice it in my 25 minutes in the Bell 47 - I was concentrating too hard!

The difficulty I have is reconciling the idea of right-drift, which implies a force acting through the C of G, with the fact that the tail-rotor force is being applied several metres aft of the C of G.

Try to understand Newton's third law, and you'll understand it all...
rogerer, not a very useful contribution to the thread. For your benefit, I should point out that I have understood Newton's third law and his other ones () since I was first taught them, 46 years ago, and this is the reason I am having difficulties with the physics of the situation.

Last edited by India Four Two; 4th Jun 2012 at 16:24.