PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ELT's in Light Aircraft GA or RA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 15:06
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't concur with an earlier post that GA crashes fall into the two categories of "walk away" and "fatal" because "trapped, seriously injured awaiting rescue" is sadly not uncommon.
Mickjoebill,
If you don't produce the statistics to show otherwise, for the majority of crashes.
Helos are a bit of a different case, an autorotation landing is a different kettle of fish to a fixed wing crash --- it's the V squared that gets you.

One of the very sad examples of just how easily a fixed ELT is rendered useless was a helo. crash some years ago in WA. Without going into a long story, all aboard survived the crash with minor injuries, with a portable, they would have been found in hours. The fixed ELT was damaged in the landing ---- the result was fatalities from dehydration after several days ---- not far from the nearest station homestead.

Re. SPOT, that's why you should go the extra $100 or so and by the portable that sends you GPS position, goes out with your 406 signal., only way to go.

However, carry that portable, and the other thing I always have in a pocket is a combined canopy breaker/safety knife ---- Smith and Wesson First Response is my model of choice. Total weight, a few ounces/grams. Goes through a seatbelt like you wouldn't believe.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 4th Jun 2012 at 15:07.