PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 4th Jun 2012, 13:15
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats the problem with solar/wind. It cannot reliably generate baseload power.

I'm a big fan of nuclear power, it is relatively clean. The biggest problem with nuclear power, as proved by fukushima, is that it relies heavily on water for both generating steam and for controlling. The nuclear waste is actually easily managed due to its half life.

In some senses, meeting the water requirement of a Nuclear station is best met by sticking it on the coast. This brings new challenges, as you are constantly dealing with salt water and its inherent corrosion issues, and desalination for direct core cooling, and boiling for the turbines.

Looking at Vic. We are ripe for Australia's first Nuclear Power station. We have a desalination plant that is not required at this point. It absorbs VAST amounts of power to convert sea water into potable. I see a proposition of mutual benefit. Bang a nuclear plant right next door. You remove the power transmission costs. The desal gets free power, the nuclear plant gets free fresh water. its win win win.

In this case, the devastation caused by Fukushima is not an issue, as whilst the location i propose is still coastal, its not coastal to one of the world's angriest oceans.