PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ELT's in Light Aircraft GA or RA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 10:54
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that the activation rate for 406mhz ELTs is up above 80% now versus around 20% for the older systems. I assume (I know, I know) that this relates to fixed units as I cant see that only 20% of the older units would have activated if they were referring to manual activations.

83% has got to be a fairly large percent of survivable crashes, and rightly or wrongly i still feel safer with a unit that has a G switch with the option for a manual switch on if time permits. As has been mentioned, a gps enabled unit switched on manually before an impact should give pretty good location and get the search process under way in a rapid manner.
glekichi,
You are obviously a person of faith, as you seem quite impervious to facts. Faith is not a good basis for a risk management exercise. The failure rates remain the same for fixed ELT, because the failure modes remain the same, and cannot be designed out.

There is still an aerial cable and and aerial, and all have to remain intact and operable for any signal to be broadcast ---- the problem is not with the box itself, never was. The false activation rates have not improved to any significant extent, either, similar logic, a specified G activates, even if it's not from a crash, say heavyish landing, it still goes off. Needless to say, digital disfunction (aka finger trouble) also remains a cause of "inadvertent" activation.

As should be clear to anybody dealing with facts, and that aught to be anybody dealing with aviation, fixed ELT statistically provide no protection. Indeed, about the only ones I know about, where the fixed ELT has worked, have all involved aircraft flying into snow covered gently rising hillsides, in a whiteout. Not much chance of that around Australia.

Whatever else you faith tells you, (say, on paying a witchdoctor to confer everlasting life) or however you spend your money, please carry a portable in your buttoned pocket, it will be there for you to activate if you survive.

Tootle pip!!