PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - plane crash in Lagos Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 08:13
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF the plane was flying too slow the last few 100 feet, it is no wonder. The guys in front saw no options any more, and in order to keep the impact speed as slow as possible they reduced the speed to close to stalling. Desperate basic human survival instinct may have been taking over from thousands of hours training. I would not even contemplate how I would have been reacting in a comparable hopeless situation. Even not with 23000 safe hours logged.
We have been trained in survivable scenarios, training for approaching death is senseless.

I never had any fear at my work, not even after reading reports about terrible aviation accidents, I always could "think" myself out in time from the chain of events when playing the scenario in my head.
But there are a few in which no one could have saved the day like with JAL123. Not good to think about this for too long as a prof, I lost a colleague who did and he lost his licence first and later his life to the bottle.
At least the last part of this flight looks like one with no options, hopefully we will ever learn how they got there and who or what was the cause.