PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ELT's in Light Aircraft GA or RA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 03:01
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Victorian emergency services, whilst they may initially respond to an eyewitness account of an aircraft in trouble, are dependent on either a reliable eyewitness account of an impact or a report of a missing aircraft to continue a search.

Victorian ambulance will not dispatch until the aircraft is found.

Difficulty in finding crashes by air or ground resources where the aircraft has not caught fire are not fully appreciated by volunteer emergency services
nor some GA crew.

I don't concur with an earlier post that GA crashes fall into the two categories of "walk away" and "fatal" because "trapped, seriously injured awaiting rescue" is sadly not uncommon.

As I'm in the back seat of numerous charter helicopters around the world involved in low flying, I wear a PLB, also strap a small first aid trauma kit and some lightweight tools in the cabin to raise the chances of being able to self help if trapped or injured.

Such safety kit occasionally gets a nervous laugh from some charter admin people but none of this kit was my idea, it is what I have seen in use around the world by those who have learnt from experience.

Mickjoebill