PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2012, 02:16
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Yes, I must admit the wire does seem to head in the direction of the fin, but I can't see any sign of an insulated attachment point there. I think it'll have to go in the "unsolved mystery" file.

The OTU would only use the same R/T set as we had on the Squadrons; there would be absolutely no need for any of this kit and its aerial array, or trailing aerial on their aircraft. I never saw it on any VV. No such luxuries like D/F loops or radio compasses for the likes of us - come to think of it, no radio stations anyway! This must have been a purely Aussie mod. So how did one get to India - at least the wire bit? Again, we'll never know.

As for the Rx "black box" - buried or not, if it had value it would have been knocked off years ago. But we did have a clock (in same place on panel), that way they didn't have to give us watches, we had to buy our own.

Not all their singles had the lift/twist u/cs. The P51 Mustang and P47 T/bolt folded in like Harvards. Yes, we did seem to hang on to our big single wheels (and tailwheels!) long after their sell-by dates,

Once again, thank you (and mmitch) for laying such a treasure trove before me, and for all your helpful advice and suggestions,

Goodnight,

Danny.