PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to the United States
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 23:11
Down at the club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to the United States

Hi All,

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read my post, I'm genuinely looking for honest, objective feedback.

My situation is this:

I have the option to return to the US (I’m a British citizen) and live and work as a permanent resident. I initially undertook my flight training in the US, so I have FAA licences (CPL, CFI/CFII), though with very little ‘dual-given’ at this stage.

I have completed the UK (JAA) licences (CPL, IR, and ATPL theory) though, like many, struggle to see a viable way to progress in Europe without having to pay upwards of £30,000 for a type rating - which I will not do. Before you say “General Aviation..” – it’s insanely expensive here, and a small sector with limited opportunities at that.

At the end of the day, I have undertaken this training in order to have a career, and I would eventually like to get into the airlines.

My general question for the US guys (CFI's, Regional pilots etc) is this: In your honest opinion, upon moving back to the States, do you think the average pilot/CFI would struggle with either;
- - getting a fairly decent CFI job (assuming I am prepared to move around);
- - and then advancing to the regionals, after a couple of years

Additionally:
- - Might you yourself feel the need to move abroad in order to further your career?
- - From your point of view, does it seem that things will improve (opportunities, ‘terms and conditions’)?

Again, thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer some of my questions, I do appreciate it. Of course, there is much more to it than “I’m just a low-hour guy seeing if I can make it in the States”. I have a great deal to consider, and would value any honest feedback while I continue to map a mental picture regarding what might lie in store.

Also, please feel free to PM me if you would prefer to communicate that way.

Thanks again.