PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips on how not to waste hour building after the PPL?
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 20:00
Cobalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would a passenger brief be different for each airport?

There are two things - the passenger brief for the non-flying occupants, and the "captain's brief" for the pilots(s). Schools have their own varitions of these, and during training and test you will use their's.

Here are the ones I currently use:

Passenger brief (in a single). Purpose: make sure the passengers know how to act.
  • Make sure they are strapped in, and know how to open the seatbelts
  • Explain to a front-seat passenger how to keep clear of the controls, and to explain that why they can't do anything dangerous to let you know if they accidentally move a swich or similar
  • Explain that an engine failure means you will glide into a field
  • Explain brace position in case of emergency landing; need to remove glasses
  • Show to the passengers next to the door how to close and open them
  • Agree sequence of exit though door(s)
I am sure there is some mnemonic, but this is easy to remember because you do the first two items naturally, and the remainder follows an engine-out scenario (glide - brace - land - open door - get out)

In practice this can be adjusted to experience of the passenger [my wife would slap me if I did that on every flight with her], but for CPL trainig and indeed with new passengers this is the full spiel.

Captain's brief. Purpose: remind yourself of / "prime" yourself for critical actions.
  • Who is flying the departure (if more than one pilot)
  • The runway in use
  • Performance and wind consideration (if relevant)
  • Takeoff technique (configuration, speeds)
  • Actions on engine failure/fire
    • Who will fly the emergency (if more than one pilot)
    • Before lift off --> stop
    • After lift-off with runway remaining --> land on
    • After lift-off with no runway remaining --> land straight / min turns
  • Departure route and altitude
With non-pilot passengers I do this silently, again during training and test do this aloud.