PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information Needed on PPL to comercial pilot road.
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 09:11
big.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done to triple F who once again provides informative help, rather than being dragged into an Internet squabble over who-said-what etc.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people just post on this forum to argue with someone. In these trying times we should stick together - I have gained some very valuable advice from people on this website and have been happy to pass on my (very limited) experience to those still wanting to achieve their goal, if I can be of any assistance.

Imagine - I know that the publishers of FLYER magazine hold a couple of 'training exhibitions' each year (usually London and Manchester although no doubt someone will want to correct me if I'm wrong). There are usually lectures on how to become a commercial pilot, trade stands from lots of training organisations etc, which can give you an idea of the (massive) costs involved.

Some very limited sponsorships schemes are beginning to appear but the competition for such places would probably be so intense as to rule out this option (it is certainly not something to rely on). Therefore self-funding is really the only option. Loans are available towards the costs (HSBC do a Professional Studies Loan, but may require security on property).

There are two basic routes - the 'modular' route (in which you complete the training in stages - imaginatively called modules) and the 'integrated' route, for which you join a full-time course (typically a year or more) and train from either PPL level or ab-initio right up to Frozen ATPL (where you have the qualifications for an ATPL but don't have the 1500 flying hours logged yet). Integrated courses are probably in the region of £50,000. Ouch.
Modular can cost less, or it can cost more, I guess it all depends on your skills and how long you take to learn.

Get a copy of FLYER, PILOT and Flight International magazines (any decent newsagent should have them - Flight International is weekly and the other two are out monthly); research the multitude of ads. from FTOs and get in contact with them - you can find out quite a lot that way.

Atlantic Flight Training's website (www.flyaft.com) has a simple 'flowchart' of the steps involved in becoming a commercial/airline transport pilot.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck. And if some people appear unhelpful - mention no names - don't give up, there will be others who will give you advice.