PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways to sack 72 expats to take locals on board ..
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 03:44
Geebz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew contracts for years at various airlines around the world, Jet included, whenever my airline would offer leaves. The 2008 GFC changed the landscape forever in terms of contract pilots. Airlines around the world slashed expat pilot T&Cs without any notice or negotiation. The crew leasing companies, Parc, Rishworth, et al, folded like a wet noodle when it came to upholding the T&Cs of the pilot's contract. Not one of them put up a fight for the expat pilot. The writing was on the wall to never do a contract again. I made it though that period in tact, working for Jet the whole time, but when my airline called me back I left with no interest of ever returning to contract flying. I'm done with it for good. But then I'm fortunate to have a position with a large global carrier.

IMO, anyone interested in a contract gig needs to go into it with the right severely-lowered expectations. That is, it is highly likely that at some point during your contract your pay and benefits will be cut without notice, or, you will simply be terminated. As long as you expect that and nothing more, and have a backup plan for income, the gig is palatable. But to expect these airline to uphold their agreements, is foolhardy and naive.

I get that local pilots don't like expats. But their approach is myopic at times. If an airline needs, say 100 commanders to man incoming aircraft deliveries, that will create 100 or more First Officer jobs. Without the commanders those aircraft can't fly, hence jobs are not created and more can be eliminated altogether. Now if there are qualified pilots awaiting the upgrade, then by all means the locals should have first crack. However, 2500 hrs is hardly qualified. Indian pilots would beg to differ with me but the upgrade standards at Indian carriers are extremely low.

What is ironic about hating expat pilots, as most Indians do, a majority of Indians themselves go overseas as expats when they join SQ, QR, EY, CX, and EK (most of which have Desi-heavy pilot rosters). So when it's convenient for them to whine about expats, they do. But as soon as an Indian gets an opportunity to move overseas and take a job from a local, be it a doctor, engineer, or pilot, they are the first out of any population to jump at the opportunity and sometimes act as though it's their God-given right. It's a bit of a hypocrisy, isn't it?

India needs to wake up. We live in a global village. There are millions of Indians working in white-collar jobs America and Europe, there are far less working on their shores. Sure the local should have first access to a national carrier job but the most-qualified for the job should prevail in the interest of safety.

Last edited by Geebz; 3rd Jun 2012 at 03:49.