PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAB's new turboprop
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 21:46
Castle Don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffalo Q400?

FlyerGuy,

With all due respect......sad as it is, the Colgan accident had nothing to with icing. Unfortunately it was 2 underqualified/inexperienced pilots making a major mistake. The icing they experienced was fairly insignificant compared with the conditions encountered daily by hundreds of other turboprop pilots all over the World. They stalled a fully serviceable aircraft then applied utterly flawed control techniques, leading to.......well, we know the rest.

The ridiculous aspect of the whole affair is the NTSB fixation on fatigue. Flight crew fatigue and overwork is most certainly a global issue, however, I am almost certain that the outcome in the Buffalo incident would have been the same even if the crew had been alert and rested. It was a fundamental stick and rudder failure.

My final comment is.........I have many years experience with the SF340 and have the highest respect for the people who designed it, some of whom I have met. If anyone is designing a "new" turboprop, then I have non doubt the SAAB folks will do a superb job as usual. I wish them all the best.