Thread: NAS apathy
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2002, 03:40
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Characteristic description (Number19) - VMC operations in Class E airspace

From

http://www.dotrs.gov.au/airspacerefo...ation_plan.htm
Where VMC exists and an airways clearance is not received an aircraft may enter Class E airspace.
and
Should the pilot be unable to maintain VMC, the pilot must immediately notify ATS and request an amended clearance,
Who writes this stuff?
If you are operating VMC because you don't have an airways clearance, BECAUSE presumably Centre can't give you one, then how can you request an amended clearance????? I don't think Centre will be very happy with you, because you've just set them up with the situation they were trying to avoid.
Amended clearances just don't appear magically. Even with radar it can take some time to attain a legal separation standard.
The requirements for operation in Class E airspace allow pilots of IFR aircraft the flexibility to assume responsibility for their own separation when VMC exists
I don't think the "responsibility for their own separation" is mutual. If you're the other traffic that is IFR and operating on a clearance and another pilot elects VMC operations because of you, do you have to participate in this procedure?
Do you have the option?
Will RPT companies want to participate? Have they been asked?
The Centre people I know all seem pretty uninformed about the E airspace proposals.

CG.