PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 NG Payload questions
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 16:39
Calmcavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N1 Limit has, I think, highlighted a widespread issue of the lack of performance understanding by many pilots in many companies. I haven't been in this game too long myself (~8 years) but sometimes I find the ideas and concepts, or lack thereof, that some of those who sit next to me have regarding performance simply breathtaking!

A basic understanding of Perf A, the performance manual or section of your aircraft's AOM/FCOM and the preamble to your company's RTOW charts (or EFB, haven't used one yet) is surely all that is required. Any more knowledge than that is a bonus, but would make sense to have IMHO.

Is it an industry wide problem? I've definately seen differences in standards of Perf training between airlines, and it's been a constant decline. Perhaps, as a lot of practical Perf teaching comes during line training, that is taken as gospel, and further reading is not undertaken? Though I have experienced more than one trainer preaching utter tripe regarding Perf.

Even with the more complex weather and airfield combination, a reasonably accurate RTOW calculation should not take more than a minute or two, and if using an EFB, does the manual not explain how to derive your RTOW?

I'm definately becoming a fully paid up member of the grumpy git club. Don't get me going on wet runways...