PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 380 Diversion to Ottawa and Low Fuel Emergency
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 15:57
pilotday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think there is some confusion on the point I was trying to make.

You commit to destination, our current fuel policy allows you to land with final reserve at destination if you have an expected approach time. "landing assured" without any other option than your destination airport.

^^^^ this is the specific problem I have with the fuel policy. Its bad airman ship to allow your plan B and plan C disappear while you're stuck in a hold. Then an unexpected event happens such as an unstable approach, wind sheer, ATC go around, then its an instant mayday.

My point it, landing is NEVER assured.

Committing to destination with no other option for landing, then go-around with $1 billion worth of aircraft and passenger liability...seems like an unnecessary risk.

Surely, commit to destination when you have at least at least 2 airports you can reach with final reserve, that's fine, you still have a plan B and plan C. But that really isn't committing to destination, that is starting an approach to your destination knowing that if a black swan event happens you can land at the next airport with final reserve that isn't my filed alternate.

HALAS