PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you enjoy instructing?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 15:52
Halfbaked_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTN11, indeed the question I asked myself most often before making this decision was, am I doing this for myself, or am I doing it for my potential future students? The answer I came up with is both, which I think is the best mindset to be in. I can well envisage the differences involved with flying an aeroplane, and teaching somebody else how to fly an aeroplane from scratch, and it feels like something I've wanted for a long time, which is a job that rewards you in direct proportion to the effort you put in and the approach you take.

Aware, that's another good point regarding the costs, but I've had a flying job that resulted in me doing those very calculations, so I feel fortunate enough to be able to venture into this with no preoccupations about what I'm getting for free, so to speak. For me this is about a new experience, and something that I hope will be very satisfying (as well as frustrating!).

mrmum, I've never taught somebody how to fly (except the courtesy "Look, if you move the stick back the houses get smaller, if you move it forward, the houses get bigger!" when taking friends flying!), but even so, I would like to envisage myself teaching beyond the PPL when I myself have the necessary skills and ratings to do so.

You have raised a point, however, that is possibly my biggest worry regarding this journey... I will be responsible for the attitude of future PPLs, and I know that these people will be watching me when I fly as a form of role model. How did you handle this pressure when you were new to the job? I don't think this is something that 30 hours of flying can teach you!

sevenstrokeroll, I bet he weren't much older than myself!!

Cheers guys