PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 11:56
josephfeatherweight

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts
Kordau,

What an incredibly mature, honest and valuable post you have made for the benefit of all. Mate, I am VERY sorry you didn't get recommended. Your honest and open self critique is something that is so lacking in so many of our applicants, even, unfortunately, for some of those who get through the initial FSP.
For those candidates who will attend FSP in the future, please take the time to digest Kordau's words - he has some important advice.
- Feeling "at ease in the cockpit" is something that is unlikely to happen at Flight Screening - that's deliberate, so don't feel stressed if you never seem to feel comfortable.
- Worrying about failure - this is a tough one to overcome. FSP IS very stressful - try to also allow yourself to enjoy it - probably the first time anyone is paying for you to go flying! (It was for me!)
- Flight sim - may work for some, however can be difficult to really appreciate what trimming is all about and doesn't really train you to set attitudes. If you use this as a tool to become familiar with the instruments, then it can be potentially helpful - but flying ON instruments is NOT what FSP is about.
- "Be absolutely sure your helmet fits properly" - excellent advice - take all the time you need to make sure it is as good as it possibly can be. As Kordau accurately describes, a minor annoyance at the beginning of the flight can turn into a painful and extremely distracting "hot spot" very quickly - usually about the same time you arrive in the training area and need to perform!

Kordau, I really wish you all the best with whatever path you follow from now on. It's a genuine shame that you didn't get through.

Cheers,

Joe.