PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav aids in Aus to be shut down?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 01:44
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
As someone who works for the organisation in question....I can tell you that they plan to decomission 170 navaids Australia wide within the next 3 yrs, and this does include navaids at major/international aerodromes. For example I am pretty sure that the VOR's at SY and ML are on the list.

Those NAVAIDS that are to be kept in the backup infrastructure are currently being replaced. If a navaid near you is not scheduled to be replaced then there is a good chance it is being decomissioned.

So to answer all the "negative" comments

Incorrect.

Most navaids are part of an essential network for air traffic management by ATC, and those have been (or will be) upgraded or replaced when they reach end of life. Others not essential to the network have either been offered to local aerodrome owners or operators to take over, or been decommissioned if the aerodrome owner or operators have said they do not require them, or are currently being maintained until someone makes a decision.
Quite incorrect, navaids are no longer an essential network for traffic management. It is cheaper and easier to replace a navaid with a waypoint. The only organisation/s in the country that is permitted to operate navaids is AsA and RAAF. So they are not being offered to aerodromes or private consortiums because they don't have the approvals to operate them.

Not all NDB's phased out, some of them are part of the backup navaid network and are currently being replaced/upgraded. If you do find the list, you will quite surprised as to which navaids are on it

I would say that in 3-5 years ground based navaids will be far and few between. Well thats the info they have provided to us for approach planning requirements.

Alpha

Last edited by alphacentauri; 2nd Jun 2012 at 01:46.