PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2012, 10:46
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were responsible for bird control at Dublin, I'd just fill the ground with worms that were filled with poison. Job's a goodun' !

But in all seriousness, I'm rather surprised at that picture. I fly to Dublin maybe twice per month usually, I've never really had the 'pleasure' of seeing so many birds around at once. There surely must be some better control that can be employed over there to tackle the issue. I don't buy the argument of the fact it's an airport not far from the coast - we don't see these issues at Blackpool or Liverpool or any of the other coastal airports. All seems rather odd.
this is a fairly common sight at all airports (rooks and crows are counrtry-wide - not just near the coast) during the main cut of the summer, the airport's grass management policy should have increased bird vehicles shadowing the cut but it is inevitable to a degree that there is increased bird-risk during this process. The rooks and crows are actually quite good at staying out of the way of a/c. It is the tiny birds that are the problem as they sit on the runway and often lift just as the aircraft approaches them. That would be the scarier photograph!