PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2012, 00:45
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2
The example of Fukushima is an interesting one and here in Japan the revelations are so enormous that they would take your breath away. The level of incompetence, nepotism and sheer mendacity is just staggering and the organisation seems to have learned nothing. It is also endemic throughout the whole power industry. How is this relevant to AF447? I do believe it ties in with what I have been saying about corrupt cultures - it is not just the drive to save money but that the organisational culture is fundamentally skewed. Lyman's comment about on the line is also very relevant. It is up to senior pilots to set the examples for others to follow. If the exemplars are professional and ready to help then the line pilots will mostly follow that lead. There also needs to be a certain level of ruthlessness so that sub-standard or pilots with under developed skills are not allowed to fly. This I believe very much links in with the cost saving ethos you identify. It is cheaper to allow them to continue flying than to correct the problems or remove them from danger.