PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot in Ireland... With a twist
Old 31st May 2012, 15:35
Shamrock137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Becoming a pilot in Ireland... With a twist

Hello all, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I have spent quite a bit of time on here and other aviation forums , reading through old topics and the stickies and while many of my questions have been answered, I still have a lingering few. First though, I'll share a bit about myself. I'm a recent college graduate who received a 4 year degree in Aviation Management, from one of the lesser known aviation oriented colleges in the US. For those who dont know, the degree is essentially a business degree with an aviation focus. I live in the US and currently have an FAA PPL single land and sea with about 200 hours to my name. I am very familiar with the process of becoming an airline pilot in the US, however I am also an Irish citizen, and my ultimate dream job would be becoming a pilot and living in Ireland.

My current job as an customer service/ramp agent for a US regional airline is only until the end of the summer, as our company has lost its contract to a lower bidding company. I have been seriously thinking about starting my flight training again with the goal of eventually moving to Ireland. I have reserached schools here in the US and those in Ireland, some of whom complete part of the training in the US as well.

So I dont keep going on forever, here is a quick summary with my questions. For someone who is a US and Irish citizen with the goal of flying in Ireland, what would be the best way to go about this? Also it seems that most European flight schools airline training programs leave you with a fATPL and a CPL, which is different from the US model of getting a CPL then CFI, building time instructing and applying to a regional, then getting your ATP. How do graduates of these programs gain enough experience and hours to be hired by European airlines? Will having and FAA PPL help at all? Thanks for any help and advice!