PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flow Control on its way!
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2012, 08:39
rennaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus and (The airline we can’t mention) Begin Full RNP-AR Implementation in Abu Dhabi Terminal Airspace
An Airbus A330-200 from (The airline we can’t mention) has performed the first high precision and environmentally efficient RNP-AR approach to Abu Dhabi International Airport.

An Airbus A330-200 from (The airline we can’t mention) has performed the first high precision and environmentally efficient RNP-AR (“Required Navigation Performance – Authorization Required”) approach to Abu Dhabi International Airport. This flight marks the beginning of full RNP-AR implementation throughout Abu Dhabi’s entire terminal airspace.

These new technology approaches, utilize ‘continuous descent’ operations and optimised trajectories which shorten the approach paths to the runway thereby reducing noise, flight times and minimising fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Overall, each RNP-AR approach can reduce fuel consumption by 100 to 200kg and reduce CO2 emissions by at least 20,000 tonnes per year.
Full article here: Airbus and Etihad Airways Begin Full RNP-AR Implementation in Abu Dhabi Terminal Airspace

RNP-AR requires expensive on-board equipment and extensive crew training. At the moment the RNP-AR minimum is, at best, 200ft. The Abu Dhabi ILS is cat I/II/III capable so I can not see a benefit in minimums.

At the moment Abu Dhabi has RNAV 1 SIDs / STARs and RNAV 1 transitions onto the ILS.

The ICAO RNP-AR manual states that the standard RNP values of initial – RNP 1 and intermediate – RNP 1 values are used. So I do not see a benefit here either.

You can get those sorts of CO2 reductions if you are flying by conventional means but not if you are already flying RNAV 1.

So as I see it, the “airline we can’t mention” will go to great expense for little or no actual gain or am I missing something?