PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2012, 00:11
gusatstol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avril

I was going out with Avril at the time and invited her along. In 2000 I saw in my local paper that she was at Cronulla Marina having work done on her boat.So I went and visited her after 37 years.
Another story, STOL had a private strip at a village called maipa? that we called in, when lightly loaded, to pick up fruit and vegetables [3 pence a pound except betel nut 1 shilling a pound. Didn't do well as natives couldn't afford them at the Trade store at Lawes Road and expats didn't shop there.] On one occasion the 182 groaned and sat on its tail. I had the agent unload and reweigh the load 1,200 pounds not the 600 I expected.
I was doing multible airdrops from Tarpini to a village close by. Each load I allowed an extra bag of rice to make up for the fuel used. This was a bit to much, but I had no trouble till the last flight when the heavy owner of the trade store wanted to come. Instead of leaving the strip half way down the ski jump I ended up diving into the valley to get flying speed and had to find a place to do a circuit to gain enough height to cross the ridge.
New Guinea has changed, when I was the first aircraft into Baimuru in 8 weeks the tractor and trailer instead of taking me to the PO diverted into the town and had me waving to 3000+ smiling waving natives lining the streets.David's? wife had the kai boi make sweet and sour fish I supose Barra.

Last edited by gusatstol; 31st May 2012 at 09:19.