PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odds against pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2012, 14:34
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have to see past some of the negativity on this forum - remembering that the economy is on its knees, and things will improve in the future (although there is no end to the gloom currently in sight, what with the developments in Greece).

Modular is the way forward for me. I've revalidated my PPL after a long break and I'm now hour building and starting the ATPL exams through distance learning. I've wanted to fly since I can remember and have only just now, in my late twenties, established myself in a (non-aviation) career where I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the training and a decent lifestyle (ironically a better lifestyle than I could probably afford if I reach my end goal!). Integrated training is therefore a complete non-starter for me and I suspect a lot of other people due to the loss of earnings.

My approach is to follow my nose through the training, build up contacts whereever possible, taking it a step at a time. I'll hopefully get the CPL done next year and then take it from there depending on the state of the market. You only live once and I don't want to leave it until it really is too late, without at least knowing I gave it a shot.