PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Terminates Pilot on Military Disability
Old 30th May 2012, 11:46
Iron Skillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something like 30% of US airline pilots are in the reserves or national guard, and I've heard around 2/3 of the US military are reservists and guardsmen. All these people are entitled to military leave anytime they are "called up" or scheduled, and the employers have to deal with it.

As far as I understand it, the US, employers and almost everyone strongly support the military. When someone goes away, whether a day or for months or even a year or more, they are guaranteed to get their job back when they return, along with lots of other guarantees. This is a major cost of doing business for most companies, and it is particularly hard on small ones.

I have no doubt that CX will soon be receiving a letter from the US Navy and will quickly find out just how easy it is for the US government to enforce their laws that protect their personnel. I assume CX got their legal advice from the same kind of experts who thought onshoring was a great idea...

Last edited by Iron Skillet; 30th May 2012 at 11:46.