PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "INTERNATIONAL" Status for YPPD - AGAIN..??
Old 30th May 2012, 11:27
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a push to see Hedland become a much better airport. "International Freight Centre" has been heard along the grapevine.

About 12 months ago I recall talking to AsA personnel who had mentioned some progress in the area. Hedland was on the boderline numbers wise of needing ARFF and ATC, and with the massive growth of the region it is likely that getting these facilities in place will happen. In the words of the representatives I spoke to "If it was up to me I would approve it now; but it isn't so my recommendation will be to approve it."
Last I heard, ARFF will be in first then ATC.

Anyone who has flown in/out of Perth, especially to the NW knows how much of a mess it can be.
Bring in radar control to at least 10,000ft. Comms with centre on the ground at all (or at least the vast majority of sites). These two 'simple' things would benefit all.

But, getting back to the topic of Hedland, the new taxiways are almost complete. Big enough to take the 737s- but from what I gather from the local frequent flyers, if only Virgin would use them!

Hedland/Karratha are well poised to serve an international market. Up to who wants to put the money in to stand out over the other really- both are quite sub-standard in the grand scheme of things.
The amount of FIFO people who go back to places like Bali on their time off is huge; not to mention the ones that just want to go there on their two weeks or whatever off - be easier if they didnt have to go all the way back to Perth.

Last edited by Car RAMROD; 30th May 2012 at 11:29.