PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 30th May 2012, 10:42
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MG - strange comment - not sure what it is you think I think about this - so just to be clear:
The video is a useful version of an old text version of the same - we used to post it prominently on the notice board. It is only a BASIC MINIMUM element of understanding.
It represents the education required by all VMC pilots as to WHY they should want to not become IMC.
It does not deal with the HOW part. It has limited use, in that it condescendingly presumes that the pilot's who kill themselves (or are destined to kill themselves) do not already know that they should avoid the IMC state which they are incapable of handling - whereas (tragically) they are often highly conscientious individuals who have been attempting to use selection of good weather to stay VMC but were (are) incapable of remaining VMC when judgement, skill and experience is required.

Helicopter pilots must be able to control their aircraft so that they NEVER lose the Visual References required to control their aircraft. They should not view Instrument Reference Flight as the solution to the possible loss of Refs. since it diminishes the more important imperative that they remain VMC. Although of course it is very good for their flying and comprehension of flight to be proficient at IRF in an unstabilised machine (current training does not achieve this since the foggles used permits sight of outside references serving to give the pilot the impression that he can perform IRF when in fact he cannot).

Mighty Gem - do you disagree with any of that? Anyone disagree with that?

(Hillberg - danger - I don't think you intend it but you give the impression that a pilot in bad weather should not descend and slow to remain visual but should deliberately climb and become IMC - whereas I think you are really saying that if they have already become IMC they should not descend and risk hitting the ground ahead - true?)

Last edited by AnFI; 30th May 2012 at 15:40. Reason: spelling :)