PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Airlines bangs up another one...
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2012, 10:06
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Get a grip 777-200 you sound bloody hysterical. Why do you keep coming back here to cry about it? You had a bad time here and you bailed out, fine, we all got your message. Many hundred other pilots here, came to a different conclusion than you.

You're right in one sense, if you come here and you don't know your stuff or you're a gash pilot, they won't "train" you up to speed. And there is the potential here for pilots - both expats and locals - to become slack & non-SOP & lazy. But nobody's forcing you to lower your own standards.

Honestly it's such a simple concept to grasp - go to work, fly the plane, humor the guy in the other seat even if he's an idiot, make sure nothing dangerous happens on YOUR flight. Go home, chill out - or go partying or whatever you're into. Enjoy all this country has to offer. Enjoy your pretty-good tax free salary. Enjoy your two week holiday every 6 weeks. Feel smug about the fact you earn 3 times what the locals do, and about 100 times the national average wage.

Personally I find this to be the most low stress job I've ever had. It's just about impossible to fail a sim here, once you're in. Compare that with Korean. It appears to be just about impossible to fail a medical. Compare that with China or Japan. Just because you "can" get away with it, doesn't mean of course that you "should" let yourself turn into a bad pilot, or a fat chain smoking alcoholic. Once again, some self policing is required

There are some very bloody good pilots in this place - and some pretty bad ones. Like I said, nobody is forcing YOU to lower your standards to that of the lowest common denominator. Know your aircraft, know your SOPS, stay vigilant, stay proficient, lead by example. You'll gain respect from everyone. (Portuguese A330 captain S.E. is a great example of that, he's a great guy and really really knows his stuff. They just made him TRE on his fleet and first expat working in the safety dept).

If you have safety concerns or you simply can't fly with one guy, then deal with it in plenty of time, through the proper channels, even in this airline those channels do exist.

One of "them" might well stack a plane up one of these days, not your problem, just make sure it's not one that you are on.

And always remember the proverb, "grant me the strength to change what I can change, the serenity to accept what I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference".