PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Missing en-route to Mildura
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2012, 08:38
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to disagree completely here
Marcuste747,
You have, of course, confirmed that each of the units, to which you refer was a fixed ELT. For handhelds, the figures are more or less reversed, with the failure to broadcast when activated being very rare.

What other aviation "safety" device with a better than 90% failure rate would you recommend - on the off chance it worked. You are quite free to fit your aircraft with a fixed ELT if you wish, as long as you understand that it is very unlikely to aid in your rescue in the event of an accident.

There is a damned good reason why several state government actually require portable ELTs be carried on aircraft used on contract, whether they are fitted with a fixed ELT or not.

Remember, I am not quoting "my opinions", I am quoting facts --- and the facts are well and truly in, fixed ELT are a waste of money.

Indeed, the false activation rate of fixed ELTs is another major shortcoming, with the advent of every new TSO since the original C129, claims have been made about reducing the false activation rate, without noticeable result.

Tootle pip!!