PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is London the new Afghanistan??
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 21:29
Shropshire Lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe any public sector workers should receive extra pay for the Olympic period, whether they be TFL workers, emergency service workers or the Amed Forces. If you expect extra money for when you have to work extra hard, I assume you will be happy to give some back during quieter days, weeks or months of the year?
Because that is exactly the same for every private sector company I've worked for - Oh sorry no it isn't!

I think an analogy would help - Supposing I have several plumbing jobs around the house that need doing. What you seem to be suggesting is that if I employ a private sector plumber, I should be able to lure him/her round with a request to fix the toilet and then get him/her to unblock the drains and install a new water tank for no additional cost??? And get all this by simply telling him/her that he shouldn't receive extra pay for working hard? Is that how the private sector works now... Who knew??

If you want performance related pay, join the private sector or start a business.
I suppose you could turn this on its head - if you want the pay and conditions that the police are rumored to get then join the police. I'm assuming there is a reason you didn't? I suspect your knowledge of the police and the work they are involved in is a little limited if you are trying to compare it with the private sector...