PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNP propose 7 Airbases for Scotland post Independence
Old 29th May 2012, 20:11
Lowe Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see nothing wrong with being proud of your nationality or 'regionality' (if that is a legitimate word). But as the last few posts have suggested, unwinding the complex legal, fiscal, economic and social ties that have bound us together all these years will be a heck of a job. There are so many imponderables that I doubt anyone really knows how it would all work out.

Our European friends may give us a pointer as to the sort of things we may expect, should the Greeks exit the Euro (I can't see how they can survive in it) and others follow suit - Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy......?

It's clear that the massed wisdom of our leaders, be they EU, Eurozone, G8, G20 (or G any other number you can think of), bankers, financiers, entrepreneurs, bookies or road sweepers have not got the foggiest how to steer us out of the god-awful mess we have been landed in by putting political ideals and egos before economic common sense. So I predict that the number of planes an independent Scotland might have will soon be completely irrelevant and totally subordinated to the necessity of rebuilding economic sanity in Europe. The long-term effect however, could well be that the European Nation State makes a comeback, as it is patently clear that trying to govern artificial groupings of disparate peoples and cultures is an impossible task.

Sorry to interrupt the cross-border slanging match with my cheerful observations. Carry on.