PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNP propose 7 Airbases for Scotland post Independence
Old 29th May 2012, 19:30
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
OK my ha'pence worth as a Scotsperson brewed mostly in England. If we're all extremely lucky, the Scots, as looks like they may well do, will vote to maintain the state of the union.

If independence is craved, all will face a right old mess. Within a year, a lot of people who may have voted for independence will start to think about it belatedly,the juvenile anti-English Braveheart rhetoric will be evaporating fast as the reality of monster taxes, various demands for necessary funding for things like Border Controls, economic investment, decision on currency (Eck now says they'll keep the Queen and the Pound Sterling), how much they'll need to borrow and just how much they will expect, as has been mentioned, to be bouyed up by the remainder of the UK, essentially England. Oh and I can just see them retaining all the Typhoons and whatever other High Performance military Aircraft Eck's government think will be enough to be just like Norway and their F16/F35 programme. By the time they get to seriously addressing that issue, Lossiemouth and Leuchars will be abandoned by the R.A.F, Army or whoever and all will have been moved south of the border. English people serving in Army units with a Scottish origin will for the most part be opting to be retained by the British Army and of course the R.A.F. north of the border will see a similar drain of personnel with every right to choose to remain a part of the R.A.F. English or otherwise.

Shortly after this problem begins to expand, there may well be an attempt to review and negotiate Scotland's relationship with the rest of the UK, the volatile idiots on both sides will be out of the woodwork and noisily opposing what they will see as "selling out" from either perspective. Furthermore, I expect this utter mess will start to develop and grow right at the time that it would be more in the United Kingdom's interests to stand as one as never before since the Second World War.

Then again I could be completely wrong!

It could even be much worse!

FB