PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 17:52
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great deal has been made of the vigorous stick inputs. As an example, it in itself is tolerated. When pumping controls is not trained out, and the possibility for sensitive controls result from a controls process, (direct), can we see the potential for disaster? I am not convinced that enhanced training would improve the situation, especially when it involves a syllabus of counter intuitive process, along with a need for memory items that are arcane, and not conducive to simplicity in the face of panic...

Training and sim sessions came to this stick pumping, disagree? Or it was isolated, and couldn't have happened with any other pilot? Here we talk about something more endemic, and potentially lethal. Ignore the deluge of data in the cockpit in the midst of upset at our collective peril. When things go pear, there is either time to do it the way Airbus designed, or there is not.

When seconds count, they cannot be squandered on panicky attempts to remember ****. Things go simple, or they go South....period. The LAW had changed prior to the pilot's awareness of it, this is without question. When he finally knew what had changed, is debatable. Fine, let's us try to rmember the salient parts of AL2. Did he immediately soften his horizontal inputs? NO. Vertical? Again, NO. That is starting behind with a vengeance. Me? I am a sissy. I fly whilst constantly looking for a place to land. I chronically review safety actions and responses on the most hohum flight.

PF was cocky? Unaware? No matter, what he did not do is what most here would have done, so we hear....

Regardless the training, regardless the platform, if one is not ahead, one is behind. And behind is inside the gate of the graveyard. Can that be trained? Can it be practiced? Awareness is common to all pilots who have had a proper ab initio, and have not gotten complacent.

On the platform that commands ennui, and less than alert pilotage, the demons are waiting...

Last edited by Lyman; 29th May 2012 at 17:56.