PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 16:48
rotorfossil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Gnome engine stall was a bit more complicated than it seemed. Sometimes air got into the high pressure fuel system and ended up in the IGV actuator causing sluggish action and a stall if power increases were done in a hurry. Also interaction with the DH designed engine computor was another source of woe. As originally designed, if the engine suffered a stall, the governor sensed the T4 rise and shut the throttle to the minimum flow which would likely un-stall the engine. Unfortunately, by now the pilot seeing the loss of power would grab the manual throttle selector (if he had time) and wind up the power. If successful, he would then go home and snag the computor for a run down. The fix for the perceived computor rundown problem was to fit the selectable flight idle stop which prevented the N1 going below 19000 odd RPM in a rundown. Unfortunately this guaranteed an engine burn out (and I had two) in the event of a stall as the computor couldn't shut the throttle.
After RAF Whirlwind flying, I went to Leavesden just before they shut the plant and the team who used to do the computor work dug out their test set and tested a computor for an ex RAF Whirwind for us. They confirmed that large number of the /5 computors returned to the factory were actually fully serviceable. The problem was that the signalling circuits (N1,N2, T1,T4 and throttle valve angle) were all sensitive to damp, corroded terminals and poor connections leading to apparent computor problems. I had one where the T4 signal was intermittent. When it disconnected, the computor continued OK but when it re-connected, the computor sensed this as a rapid T4 rise and shut the throttle. That took two computor changes and a complete system diagnostic to work out.
A lot of the above experience only came to light right at the end of RAF Whirlwind flying and continuing into civil operation.